Figures...

All those clever ideas and opinions I had floating merrily through my head an hour ago have conveniently all evaporated. No doubt I will remember them all in the wee hours of the morning when I'm to tired to do anything but briefly think, "yeah, that was a pretty good idea" before I roll over and fall asleep. And since my brain cells have decided to revolt at the sight of all this white space, I'll quickly fill it up with those images a few curious women had asked me about. So here is some my work. When I have income again I'll be able to hire a real photographer to take pictures of my paintings, but until then, the digital camera will give you an idea of where I'm coming from.




I paint portraits. At least, I have painted portraits, and I will paint portraits again. For the past two years, I've been in a self imposed oil exile, as I didn't feel comfortable passing on the finer qualities of my pigments to my little wee one. BUT, I just weaned the Impling, and today I picked up my brushes and had a few nice moments squishing around paint with my old knives. I felt some brain cells stir.

Speaking of brain cells, I don't think I would have thought to use this arena for showing off if I hadn't one day thought to cross "brain cells" and "mother" in a google search. I was looking for a mommy equivalent of "Daddytypes" and not finding one. What came up was "Motherhood Uncensored", which I now regularly read.

At first I was occasionally checking out the Underwear Drawer, and although I enjoy Michelle's writing, as a non medical resident, I felt I would like something more universal. Sites like "The Dooce", "Morphing into Mama", and MU were just what I needed. It was like being watered.

But I digress.

The top image was inspired by the light and my sleeping husband, my most faithful unintentional model (I sneak up on him) 1999.
The next is of my great grandfather and his great great granddaughter 1991.
The third image is of a thirteen-year-old who later ended up going to art school herself 1995.

Unfortunately, the more recent work I've done resides in the homes of the people I've done them for. But pre-digital camera.

What I love most about painting people is discovering them. By this I mean not only nailing the likeness, but really finding that moment when a person is most themselves. Usually it is a small thing, a way they hold themselves when they are not being self-conscious, a particular movement or look that illustrates who they are. Lots of interviews, sketches, sitting sessions, chats, and trips for coffee and ice cream are needed.

And this, of course, takes time. That thing I don't have.
Till now. Granted, I'm looking at a whole hour and a half per day, but I'll take what I can get.

Comments

Debbie said…
because I don't know you very well, yet, I won't swear. but those pieces make me want to. it's like an itch that I'm not allowed to scratch. I'll resist.

but, oh, frick! those are some good pieces.

did I mention, you are very talented? in the words dept., too?

Popular Posts