"Great Scott! Gadzooks!

One half their lives was reading books!"

1. One book that changed your life: Many more than one, but I'll follow the rules with an unusual title.
Canopus in Argos: Archives Re: Colonized Planet 5, Shikasta by Doris Lessing, . I'm not a terribly big science fiction reader. But this book blew away every conception of existence I ever had.

OK, I'm breaking the rules.
I have to add Thoreau, just because.
Walden


2. One book that you've read more than once: Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (obviously).


3. One book you would want on a desert island: The Riverside Shakespeare. No contest. How else would you keep from going crazy with loneliness? Plus you could use it to kill small animals for food.

4. One book that made you laugh: The Fan Man, by William Kotzwinkle. DorkyDorkyDorkyDorkyDorkyDorkyDorkyDorkyDorkyDorkyDorkyDorky...


5. One book that made you cry: Anna Karenina. An absolute mess, I was.


6. One book that you wish had been written: Private Journals of Boadicea,


7. One book that you wish had never been written: Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale. I read it in high school. I started it, and literally didn't put it down till I finished about 24 hours later. Didn't sleep, didn't eat. Didn't FEEL like sleeping or eating after I closed the book. And it's creepier than ever now that we know that this is no longer fiction. It has happened, and IS happening.


8. The book(s) that you are currently reading:
I've never managed to only read one book at a time, mainly because I read according to mood. So at the moment, I'm reading G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown mysteries (they're quick reads, with delightful language); Owen Glendower, by John Cowper Powys; Aging Well, by George Vaillant; A Question of Balance: Artists and Writers on Motherhood; and The Child's Conception of the World, by Jean Piaget. These should keep me occupied for a while...


9. One book that you have been meaning to read: Blood Meridian. I'm waiting until I'm in a good mood.


Meanwhile, the Impling takes on the Classics...



Comments

Bea said…
I'm planning a re-read of CatCF soon (it's in the pile, but the pile is big, so there's no telling when I'll get to it). This meme just keeps on being fun.
Debbie said…
I heart Thoreau. and Snuggle Puppy is one of my favorites. I mean, it's one of my son's favorites.

p.s. that belly is so delicious. it was destined for zzrbtts.

Popular Posts