On Call.

So it's the fourth again. Our neighborhood is empty, everyone having departed for a sweaty evening on the Esplanade, or vanished to cooler breezes on the Cape. There is the Pops, and fireworks later. None of which really holds any interest for me. Ok, I would like to see the fireworks, but it's not a real pressing need.

And yet, here I am, ready to complain. And if I want to be absolutely honest, I will write that my discontent has nothing whatever to do with the fact that I am missing the afore-mentioned New England 4th of July traditions.

It has everything to do with being alone, yet again, overnight, while the Hub does his call thing. No. That's not really true either.

What I resent is that while he is truly getting his ass kicked at his job, the true work he is doing he loves. And he's good at it. Really good.

When we met, neither of us had any clue this would happen. That Med School would happen. But somewhere along the way, he realized this was what he wanted to do with his life. He could be 40 and working at a white collar employment agency, or 40 and a doctor.

So I became a Med School Widow. It wasn't all that bad, really. Hah. You believed me?
For me, it meant having orange scented bath bubbles ready for when he came home reeking of formaldehyde, paying for the bills and health insurance with my own high stress job (I was a senior graphic designer at a medical publishing company...deadlines are my friend), and encouraging the hub when rotations got ugly, as they sometimes did. Add to that coaching for the USMLE parts one and two (we recently got through the third and last part with flying colors...whew), housework, and keeping a steady supply of Coke (the cola, you bad people), SweetTarts and Crunch'n'Munch on hand.

But I had a job I was good at. It was intense, nonstop and overwhelming, and I hated it, but I was damn good at it. I miss that assurance of my own competancy more than anything. I had confidence, I was...a professional. I had an income. I could pay for cello lessons. I could go out with the girls for drinks and bitching, and not have to ask for money, or clear it with the budget first.

The weird thing is, as much as I miss that part of my life, it would be supremely awful to go through parts of it again. There's no going back and all that. And now, I have something of infinitely more value...the Impling.

Things are harder now. If Med school was the first ring of hell, internship and residency have rings all their own, somewhere miles beneath that "deepest" ring (a walk in the freakin' park, that is). Now that we have moved away from our friends and a very beloved family, our support network is scant. I am with the Impling 24/7. We can't afford things otherwise here. And for me to work, I need time, and I don't have it. I have no wish to go back to marketing again. I want to move on, and move back at the same time. I want to take up painting again. With fresh eyes, and new ideas. So I have to wait. I sketch, and write down ideas, and bide my time. I'm impatient and depressed. And I always know that as awful as I feel sometimes, the Hub feels even worse.

As impossible as things get for the Hub, he keeps most of it to himself. And as this is a very SMALL community, getting into specifics about situations is not something he or I can do. Even here, I censor myself. I can't rage, because who knows who is reading? Yes, paranoia is exhausting.

It's wiping us out. It's wiping others out. Third year is supposedly much better than the second. We shall see. With the spectre of this past year still with us, it will be a while before I feel secure again.

So we take it moment by moment, and try to make our time with the Impling the best it can possibly be. What else can we do?

Comments

KC said…
If I were in Mass, I'd buy you a round of stiff girly drinks (is that an oxymoron?). You know, the kind in a coconut with a paper umbrella sticking out of it. But, his residency will end...and being an attending is liberating in many ways, especially financially. Then, hopefully, these times will just be a distant memory...
Pendullum said…
It is hard and even more so as you seem pretty isolated...
It is so hard when you only have each other...
I know...
Try and go out to a coffee shop, library, anything... It is hard but take a few steps so that you can meet your own set...
I think just give yourself some space to grow yourself...
Your hubs is working through his thing... and you need to work through yours...
Congrats on the USMLE...
Sandra said…
Moment by moment is sometimes the best we can do.

It sounds exhausting and lonely.

Sending you a big hug and virtual margarita...
Debbie said…
I want to send you comfort with my words, but I'm really drawn to something in particular that you mentioned, about your painting. You want to dive back in, but your current situation is preventing you. So you bide your time. You draw. You sketch. You snatch moments and fill them with your ideas on paper.

I would suggest that life has given you an opportunity to enhance the mental aspect of your painting skills; that, as your talent lies dormant, due to not being exercised, you are watching, you are developing your eye, you are pensively storing ideas like a squirrel readying for winter. you are growing your stock of brain-art.

When you finally get that brush back in hand, you are going to blow yourself away with what you're able to conjure up. I'm so excited for you; this is your cocoon-moment. Store up all you can, girl. Pain in your current situation is only going to make the art that much more beautiful, later.

I hope you share your work with us, when you get to go back to it. I know it's going to be mind-boggling.

in the meantime, I wish strength and patience for you. and some really, really cute shoes. and cake. big pieces of it.

*hug*
Namito said…
Thanks so much, everyone.

Here's to virtual margaritas and cute shoes. And cake.

I'll get through this. The Impling deserves it.

Popular Posts