The Twelve Days AFTER Christmas

by Frederick Silver

The first day after Christmas, my true love and I had a fight
And so I chopped the pear tree down and burned it just for spite
Then with a single cartridge, I shot that blasted partirdge
my true love, my true love, my true love gave to me

The second day after Christmas, I pulled on the old rubber gloves
and very gently wrung the necks of both the turtle doves
My true love, my true love, my true love gave to me

The third day after Christmas, my Mother caught the croup
I had to use the three French Hens to make some chicken soup
The four calling birds were a big mistake for their language was obscene
The five golden rings were completely fake and they turned my fingers green

The sixth day after Christmas, the six laying geese wouldn't lay
I gave the whole darn gaggle to the A.S.P.C.A
On the seventh day, what a mess I found
all seven of the swimming swans had drowned
My true love, my true love, my true love gave to me

The eighth day after Christmas, before they could suspect
I bundled up the eight maids a milking, nine pipers piping, ten ladies dancing, eleven lords a leaping, twelve drummers drumming (Well, actually, I kept ONE of the drummers ) and sent them back collect
I wrote my true love, " We are through, love! "
And I said in so many words,
" Furthermore your Christmas gifts were for the birds! "

This is just an excuse for me to see if this new blogger thang actually works.

Comments

KC said…
Paula, I know this song well. But it's great to hear it again.

I just switched too and it's stressing me out. I can't handle the change.

Happy New Year!
Namito said…
Now if I can just figure out how to get my titles all nice and funky...

A very Happy New Year to you too, KC
Sandra said…
Loved that ... and your new blogger!

Wishing you the happiest of new years!
Pendullum said…
Can you believe I used to sing this song in high school???
It always was a showstopper!!!

I wanted to drop by and wish you the Happiest of New Years...
I am so glad I found you out in cyberspace...
And have LOVED you blog!!!!
and you have always been so kind to me with your comments...
Strange that we have never met...And yet I feel I know a special part of you
Namito said…
pendullum, why does it not surprise me you've sung this?

I feel the same way...your personality comes through in your wonderful writing. And it's so great to be the sympathetic ear sometimes, and so helpful to be heard by one!

Thanks for all the encouragement and understanding.

Happy New Year, everyone!
Carolie said…
Love your blog, and look forward to reading through the archives and reading new posts!

Thanks for visiting Adventures in Japan. I'd love to correspond about the Japanese schools and your brother's upcoming move, if you are interested... carolie-at-wordmagix-dot-com.
Her Bad Mother said…
I'm terrified to make the change. TERRIFIED.

Are you happy with it?
Namito said…
Transition went pretty smoothly, HBM. I think I like it.

I made copies of all my HTML codes for my template, and all the little extra things like profiles and stuff, and backed up all my posts in Open Office.

Then I took a deep breath and did it. It only took a few minutes, if that (not like I have a huge blog or anything).

So far so good. The shortcuts from the dashboard are useful, and changing the look of things seems to be easier and way more versatile. They have the same old templates, but you can change the colors and fonts pretty easily.

It's not a beta switch anymore either, so that may have something to do with how easy it was.

I'm glad I did it, if only to finally figure out how to get my titles to work (DUH.)

Popular Posts