A Cup of Tea

For a good part of my life, I was a coffee achiever. In college, I drank it black, 2 sugars. By senior year I averaged at least 6 to 8 large coffees a day.

This continued until one day I reflected that I was constantly exhausted, and thirsty and would get blinding headaches when I dared skip even one day without a blast of black gold.
First I was sad, then annoyed at my addiction. So I stopped.

I still drink coffee as a treat, after a really good meal, or when I'm out with friends (needless to say I haven't been drinking much coffee lately), or if I need to stay alert for a night drive to NJ to visit family. But for all intents and purposes, I stopped with the coffee. Instead, I began to drink tea.

My mother gave me one of her wedding presents when I graduated from college. It was a teapot, with a matching sugar bowl and creamer. The pot is one of those nice, round cozy shapes, painted with violets. It came from Prince Edward Island, sometime in the 1960's.
And now it is one of my only vehicles of personal ritual in an otherwise Impling dominated existence.

It helps that I truly enjoy tea. Earl Grey, Gunpowder, a good Jasmine, Irish Breakfast when I want to actually use cream and sugar. I love the tin cannisters, the smell that floats up when I open a fresh tin. And I love making my tea. I heat the water almost to boiling, but not quite. I rinse the pot out with hot water.

I steep 5 minutes for black teas, 3 minutes for green tea (unless it's Gunpowder, then it gets 4). The sound of the tea curling from the spout of my fat little teapot is soothing. The tea cools in a ceramic mug from a trip to Ireland long ago, and the vapor is almost as soothing as the tea itself.

I drink my tea. Usually, at this point, I have little time to sit at leisure to enjoy it. Many times it is abandoned as the Impling demands her rituals...of going to the playground to methodically swing in every single swing (a different view from each swing, I guess), of reading Sheep in a Jeep 5 times consecutively, of climbing and flopping on the couch over and over, of taking all her clothes (or books, or toys, or snack foods) and spreading them over the floor.

But no matter, I've had my own ritual. My piece of quiet, a small space of time to watch the steam rise from the hot water saturating the tea leaves, and let my mind float whimsically for a few moments, until the timer goes off.

Comments

KC said…
While JP is not guilty nor annoyed over his coffee/espresso addiction, I personally could never accept that kind of dependency for myself. He thinks anything is okay as long as it contributes to higher productivity, which my response is--well then why don't you just take some speed?
Bea said…
I normally drink coffee (just one cup of the real stuff in the morning - decaf after that if socially appropriate), but while I was pregnant and for several months thereafter I couldn't STAND the stuff, so I drank tea, and you're right - there is something so very comforting about it. After Bub was born, when everything was so crazy, my morning cup of tea was an oasis of sanity - I made SURE I got at least that one cup in the morning, whatever happened thereafter.
Debbie said…
Wow. That simmers in my mind. I see the steam. I smell some delicious herbal goodness.

I think I need a cup of tea.
Nancy said…
What lildb said. I love coffee, but I also love tea too. And now I think I need me a cup. ;-)
I myself am a coffee lover, but I've tried giving tea a chance. Unfortunately, it doesn't do it for me. There is something comforting about having a mug of it in your hands that is lacking with coffee but I still don't understand the attraction of drinking it. I've got to give a try again, though, because I'm getting jittery. ;)

btw, had to come over and say hellow. I saw your comment on lildb's site and saw that you were a fellow Mass lady. Good to meet you.
Namito said…
Glad to meet you too, mrs. chicky!

Where are you? Around Boston? I'll be over to check out your site...now the Impling is calling for me to "Ree Ree"

Literary hour is upon us.

Popular Posts