The Weirdness

First off, before the weirdness, hence forth and forever more, the "Hub" shall now be addressed as "Dr. Science". Ask and ye shall receive, man o' mine.

And now, for this weird meme thang that's been circulating...6 weird things about me.

I've been wracking my skull to try to tease out specific things. I know I am weird. There's a reason I was voted “Class Individual” in high school.

But specific things. Gah.

  1. I HATE the expression “chock full”. It makes me cringe just typing it. Like fingernails across a chalkboard, it is. The ONLY place “chock full” can be used without making me grind my teeth to the quick is if it is on a can of coffee labeled “Chock-full-o'Nuts”. Then, and only then, is it permitted. Go forth and caffeinate.

  1. I have insomnia. Which is not, in itself, weird, I grant you. But my insomnia more often than not involves song tracks playing over and over and over and over in my brain until I imagine myself bashing my head into the wall in time to the music just to get. it. Out. This past week I've been tortured with a techno version of the soundtrack to M.U.L.E., a track from Dance Dance Revolution, Tom Lehrer singing the LY song (this was not as bad as M.U.L.E., thank god), and a song that shall remain nameless from the “For the Kids” CD. What will tonight bring, I wonder? As it turns out, Thomas Dolby. The keys to Her Ferrari. Bleh. No kidding. It's a great song, really. Just not at 3 O'CLOCK IN THE FUCKING MORNING. Then I had Oscar the Grouch singing I LOVE trash. And oh joy, more M.U.L.E.

  1. I'm going to have to sleep on this. Then I'll add whatever song wakes me this morning to #2, and maybe in my desperation to silence the music I will discover some unacknowledged hidden weirdness. Until tomorrow then...
    Picking up the thread here after yet another musical night: I have a terrible habit of biting my lower lip. Then it gets all chapped and gross, and then I have to remind myself to drink lots of water to get them dechapped. Burt's Bees just ain't enough. Does this count? It better, because this brain isn't coming up with anything else at the moment.

  1. I have deliberately tried to memorize songs to counter the aforementioned impromptu 3 AM concerts. Things I have tried with success include; Bach, Kodaly, Dvorak and Rachmaninoff cello suites, concertos, and sonatas; Beethoven's 9th; and selected tunes from the Magic Flute.

  2. Which leads me to #5, the fact that for the most part of my life, I knew more about classical than current music. I didn't know about Sting, or Janis Joplin, or Prince, or any Big Hair Bands, until I was well into High School. I remember seeing my classmates in fifth grade showing off their Kiss albums and thinking they looked SOOOO cool. They squashed chickens, man. With big pointy spiked shoes! I wasn't positive, but I didn't think Chopin or Bach had that in their repertoire. Maybe Liszt did. Dr Science was kind enough when we met to edumacate me in all I had missed: Lou Reed, Tom Waits, Sisters of Mercy, Queen, Pink Floyd, The Pogues, Kirsty MacColl, The Cranberries, The Cocteau Twins. David Bowie. Sinead O'Conner. Patti Smyth. Laurie Anderson. So much great music, so little time...but enough with the music. On to a more important quirk of weirdness:

  3. I've never had my eyebrows shaped. No, actually, that's not true. I did once in junior high, and my brother asked with all the gentle sensitivity one expects from an older brother, “what the hell did you do to your eyebrows?” I think I am finally over this and have taken it upon myself to let myself be unapologetically girly. Pedicures. LOVE em. I want a facial. I've never had one. I have, however, had a shiatsu massage. Not girly, granted, but sooooo good. And bring on the girly drinks. In coconuts. With the little umbrellas. Quality, my friends.

There. I am done. For now.
TTFN
Ta Ta For Now

Comments

Her Bad Mother said…
I find that getting songs stuck in my head HELPS the insomnia. Unless it's a really bad song. Then the only thing that helps is counting. Really.
Never had your eyebrows done, eh? I highly recommend it. And facials too. Love them!

Get thee to a spa now!
KC said…
Okay, we need to get together and have some girly drinks in coconuts and get facials. What say you?
OhTheJoys said…
Drink umbrellas are a sure sign of quality. Yep.
Pendullum said…
I too have never had my eyebrows shaped...
Ohhh feels good to be not so alone out here in cyberspace with my unshapely eyebrows...
But do not get me wrong... I am no Martin Scorcesse...Those things look like wee carpets!!

Popular Posts