Monday meme

THE 5 THINGS MEME (I was tagged along with the other NE Mamas a while back by the intrepid Whirlwind)

It's true. I have not been a good blogger. No insightful ramblings to see here this post. But you can take a peek and look it all of my shit. C'mon. You know you don't have anything better to do. (Insert heavy drip of sarcasm here).


5 things in your refrigerator.

1. An old but seemingly imperishable jar of capers.
2. a mason jar of dried bonito flakes for the soup base I almost never get around to making.
3. Hershey's chocolate syrup (really, how could anyone not?)
4. Left over Thai take out...(the spicy beefy broth from a vat of boat noodles, and the sweet creamy spicy thick broth from the Kow Soy. I am absolutely convinced I will use it, and that it will not, in a month or so, transform into an actual thing as opposed to food.)
5. A lonely bottle of Sea Dog India Pale Ale. What's wrong with us?

5 things in your closet (The coat closet...it's more interesting than the others)


Yes. We are geeks. Is this REALLY a surprise?

1. An old D & D type game called Battle Masters (Whirlwind's not the only gal with dragons in her closet).
2. An old stiff green canvas bag (once used for carrying coin at a Rockland Trust Company) of glass marbles that belonged to my grandfather.
3. Winnie the Pooh Pez dispensers. Still wrapped.
4. An old straw hat that only fits when my hair is cut very, very short.
5. My old fake leather cello case.

5 things in your purse or backpack

1. The Impling's sippy cup
2. One tiny bottle of ibuprofen
3. wipes
4. an old, freckled roll of sweet tarts (which can't count now...as I just chucked them. Ew.)
5. A small book I made for my bookbinding class in college, only slightly written in (it got tucked away in a safe place for a while and never saw the light of day for some years) A nice gift, finding it again. Particularly with the page of e.e. cummings:

I Thank you God, for this most amazing day

for the leaping greenly spirits of trees

and a blue true dream of sky, and

for everything

which is natural which is infinite

which is yes.


(I missed this last Random Poetry Friday. This is a good excuse to make it up. Plus, the Impling loves it, and listens to me read it with a huge smile, and asks for me to "Sing it again" as soon as I've finished. Another gift. Yep.)


5 things in your car

1. cookies, in microscopic crumbly form around the base of the Impling's car seat.
2. Kleenex
3. plastic bags
4. extra towel or so
5. an old bottle of water that rolled under the car seat some time during the first year of residency and never rolled out again.

5 things in the world you want to see before you die

1. The northern lights
2. Barack Obama as president
3. the house we live in by the sea
4. a world where secular humanism is the norm and not the exception
5. my daughter's children


Since I have NO idea who hasn't been tagged for this yet...I'll do a little shopping around and get back to you. Or if you know you haven't been, consider yourself tagged.

Comments

Blog Antagonist said…
HA. I have that same bottle of capers in my refrigerator. They really are completely imperishable. So is Hershey's syrup. And, just for the record, Duncan Hines Homestyle Vanilla Frosting.
Namito said…
Oh Man.

Frosting.

Who needs cake?
Kevin Charnas said…
did you say, "cello"???

Yes?

I am SO TURNED ON RIGHT NOW!!!

Cellos make me hot.

And I'm not kidding.
Ah, grandchildren. I couldn't agree more.

And? Ditto on the Hershey's syrup. Yummy.
Namito said…
Oh yes. CELLO. The deep mellow lush voice...long elegant neck...the smooth flaring fingerboard...

I love the days I actually get to practice.

Some days, its the only thing to get between my legs.

And on those days, as a reward for practicing, I inevitably end up treating myself to a bowl of raspberry chip ice cream smothered in Hershey's syrup.

I'm a baaaad girl.

Kevin...do you play? The cello I mean. ;)
Kevin Charnas said…
I feel faint...the room is beginning to spin...I'm breathing heavy...and beginning to perspire...


I used to play the violin. I had a short stint of trying to play the cello...and now, I just dream...and touch myself.
Whirlwind said…
Ditto on the Choclate syrup --- and strawberry and coffee - because you can never have too many choices!

Battle Masters - that is one D&D game that I haven't seen floating around here. We probably have everything else though. Do you play?
Namito said…
Whirlwind...

I played. Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away...and I was never very good.

Now I get my RP fix with games like Oblivion and FFXII
Maddy said…
Darn it! I could collect all your capers! We never have enough. Do none of you Americans put capers in your Caesar Salad!
cheers
carrie said…
Capers and maraschino cherries will outlast us all!

Good meme!

Carrie
Carolie said…
I love the e. e. cummings poem...thank you! And D & D as well as the 'cello? We must have been kindred spirits in previous lives! Thanks for the fascinating glimpses!

The poem reminded me a little of one of my favorite poems. Mom used to recite this to me when she put me to bed, reminding me to revel in being different.

Pied Beauty by G. M. Hopkins

GLORY be to God for dappled things—
For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches’ wings;
Landscape plotted and pieced—fold, fallow, and plough;
And all trades, their gear and tackle and trim.

All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

Popular Posts