...and giving...

July 2nd.

Last year at this time, I haven't the faintest idea what I was doing. It was one of those days which time and habit formed, and through repetition, became invisible. I know we awoke, had breakfast, went to the park, played, had lunch, a nap, an afternoon walk to Trader Joe's or the pharmacy or the farmer's market for ice cream, then supper, a bath, stories, and bed.

The routine still exists, with the potential to become tiresome. But it never does, because within that structure of time, magical things happen. Then those things fade from memory, and I have to really stop and think to remember just what it was that makes my memories of this past year so special. What specifically was it?

Blog Antagonist wrote such a beautiful piece on memory. The Gift. Mom 101 had the same love of this piece of beautiful writing. So of course, we both had to nominate Blog Antagonist for the June Perfect Post Award.

So I read her words and my own memories began to return. Of what makes my days so special.


A little voice laughing, and the pad of her feet bouncing into our bedroom at 6 in the morning. She leans her head on the side of the bed with such a smile. How can we not wake up?

The Impling climbing on my back as I kneel to sweep up crumbs after breakfast, or lunch, or supper.

The way her face looks after she has grabbed my knees in a bear hug and looks up at me.

Our bedtime dreamtalk:
"What are you going to dream about?"
Gonna dweam about the moon! Gonna dweam about wadio towahs! Gonna dweam about excwamation poins!"

and those final good night words:
"Need a hug."
"Need a kiss."
"Goodnight, Mommy's hair!"



Thanks for the memories, BA.


For more great reads, check out the list for June 2007 Perfect Posts at:
www.suburbanturmoil.blogspot.com
www.petroville.com

Comments

Blog Antagonist said…
Thanks so much for the nomination. I enjoyed reading about your very special memories as well. :?)
Daisy said…
Memories -- writing them down will help you preserve them for your little darling.
Debbie said…
sniiiiiiifff.

seriously.

(p.s., Paula? will you pretty-please with sugar and cherries provide your adoring fans with an email address that receives email? everytime I send you a missive it comes back and it makes me so so sad.)

(please?)
Major Bedhead said…
Awwwww. That was lovely. Who says the every day can't be gorgeous?
Namito said…
lildb...

!!!
Nasty email! Yikes! I'll fix that ASAP.
That's nice
carrie said…
"gonna dream about wadio towahs". I can just hear her now.

Mine says she'll dream about rainbows. So. Typical.

I love the climbing on your back while you sweep up crumbs - that is a daily occurance around here!

Anyway, lovely post.

Carrie
Swistle said…
Hello! I followed a link to New England Mamas, and from NEM to you. So...hi! I was here, reading your blog!
Namito said…
Thanks all!

And hi, swistle, welcome and thanks for reading!

Popular Posts