August 26th, 2007. New England Mamas.

Whew!

We are home. We have napped (some of us are still napping). And I'm here, all jazzed up from talking with some very inspiring gals. Women who are excited about writing and living and like chatting it up.

In some instances (when fueled with a couple good shots of scotch, for instance) I can be a very affable, witty, charming person. Then there is me, stressed out, waiting for my husband's pager to go off any minute, hauling me away prematurely from these women I've wanted to meet for so long. Then, it's a different story. Then, I felt the smile glue to my face, my short term memory evaporate, and my heart start up with the fight or flight response. Luckily, I did neither (start a brawl or run out the door, that is).

Miguelina had a beautiful, warm smile that greeted us and pulled us in as we entered the restaurant, which was a fantastic distraction for me. I walked in with the Impling and Dr. Science unexpectedly in tow. Turned out Dr. Science was on call, attached to his pager, but determined to spend time with the Impling. So instead of dropping us off as we originally planned, we decided to have lunch together. As in, he and the Impling would play around while mom tried to keep her foot out of her mouth for the duration of the lunch. I think I mostly made it. Foot out 25% of the time? Maybe I'm being generous.

Every time I am inspired to meet up with new people, I think this time will be different. I won't, for instance, repeat myself, or blather on and on about my family, or go for an easy escape from the meeting-for-the-first-time-awkwardness by chatting with any toddlers in the area. Major Bedhead knows how well I did with the redundancy, and probably half the women know how well I did in the family arena. And I had at least one fantastic exchange of silly faces with Binky's little one, and I only colored and spelled with MB's little one for a relatively short amount of time. Honest.

But in the midst of it all I had a blast, and regretted not having the chance to talk more with these awesome women. Guess we'll just have to plan another meet-up, eh? No kids, drinks, and no husband on call.

I'm ready.

Comments

Everydaytreats said…
How could I not smile knowing that the Empress of Pipe Dreams and her family had arrived? We'll definitely do this again!
Blog Antagonist said…
I'm sure you were terribly charming and I'm envious of all those who got to meet you! I need to organize something similar in this neck of the woods.
carrie said…
Sounds like a fabulous group to belong to. And yes, three cheers for having your hubby NOT be on call.

Some day it will happen. I promise.
Anonymous said…
Definitely no kids next time. I felt so distracted - I wanted to talk to everyone but I also didn't want the restaurant turned into a FEMA disaster area.

There will definitely have to be a next time.
It was great to meet you, although I would've loved more time to talk! (that is the downfall of the l-o-n-g table) Looking forward to meetup #2, with drinks and without kids! (although yours is mighty cute!)
Namito said…
I truly lived up to my name that day. Here I was thinking I could actually have a couple hours when residency wasn't on my mind.

Thanks for the reminder, Carrie, I needed it.

BA, if you ever need a vacation up to NE, you'll have to let me know. Promise?

MB. There will be a next time. With drinks.

FOM My little one is currently making a game out of taking every last book off of her shelf so she can haul them around the floor in a disintegrating paper bag.

Here she comes!
OhTheJoys said…
I wish I could be a New England Mama for real.
Kevin Charnas said…
Oh, nice...and if they're REAL and TRUE people, you can be any way you want.

I met some wonderful bloggers last week and felt very much the same way. I thought, "Oh Jesus...I bet they can see my crack sweat and my breath smells like pastrami and car exhaust."
Whirlwind said…
I wish I could have joined the fun. Next time.
Namito said…
OTJ, you can be my NE mama anytime you want!

KC,maybe someday we'll meet. I promise not to mention your crack-sweat if you'll promise tell me when I've got a big honkin' piece of green veg in my teeth.

WW...definitely.
Anonymous said…
I, for one, found you incredibly charming! (And so did my mom!) And your daughter is unbelievably cute. Seriously.

I think you must have left the foot-in-the-mouth, stressed-out, short-term memory-less part of you at home.

Jane, Pinks & Blues Girls
You had the most engaging and warm smile and that put me completely at ease. I can't wait to see you again!
Sarahviz said…
Looking forward to meeting you soon!

Popular Posts