Nobody's Perfect. A post award. (and other things)

Sweet Monkey Jesus, I'm tired.

A good friend moved away today. For the past couple of years, we've had the kind of comradeship that let us call each other on the spur of the moment, pack up the kids, and meet up over there, or over here, at this park or that...just a call to vent, or...hell.

I am sad. I am moping. I walked by this morning and the moving truck was parked in front of their apartment. The white curtains gone from the windows, monolithic shapes of boxes waited in the dim light to be moved to a new space, towns away.

We will still see each other. The train will take us to our friends whenever we wish. But it will be planned. The days of just dropping by are ending. So. Big sigh.

In the meantime, I really don't have time to mope. Tomorrow, we head off to the wilds of Maine. The relatively heavily populated and rather touristy part in the greater Portland area, but still. It's a house. On a lake. With a sandbox. And horseshoes. When was the last time you played?

There, I will sit on our dock, look for loons (besides myself), and let myself write with a pen rather than a keyboard for a week.

So before I start the whole packing thing and put up my “gone fishing” sign, I need to pass on some linky love for the month.

It has been a rich writing month for so many out there. And I know that I still have posts I've missed that may be even better than these, but out of all I have had the opportunity to read, here are the posts that will not be forgotten any time soon:

Blog Antagonist blew us all away with her Funeral in a Small Town series, which let us know, in no uncertain terms, that she will be a published writer one day.

Antique Mommy with Flying Bricks.

Third Times a Charm with Balancing Act.

And finally, the woman who wrote the post that punched my gut backwards and forwards, the mother of personal epiphanies, Deb of i obsess.

I send over the perfect post award to her knowing as well as she that there is no such thing. But there is writing that is good, writing that grabs you and throttles you around until you find yourself looking at yourself and your world in a different way. Maybe because you recognized a part of yourself in what you read, but didn't want to, because you're just to chicken-shit to deal with the consequences of self-actualization. But things aren't quite the same, because now, you understand yourself a little better. And there is suddenly a bit of hope that you didn't know you needed, but there it is.

So thanks, sister, for the heart-wringing kick in the ass.


The shirt says it all, eloquently enough:
nobody's perfect.






On that note, I'm off.

TTFN
Ta Ta For Now.


Gone Fishin.


Comments

Blog Antagonist said…
Thanks for the kind words my dear. From your lips to God's ears on the published author thing! Haven't read some of your other picks, so I'll definitely check them out!
Have a great time!!
Anonymous said…
I love Portland. And there's nothing like a lake in Maine at the end of the summer to make you really appreciate living in New England. Especially since winter starts in about 6 weeks up there and won't be over until April!

Have fun!

Jane, P&B Girls
Anonymous said…
That sucks about your friend moving. When we moved to RI from NYC, I left 3 close girlfriends whom I had the same relationship/set-up with. College to the Big City... through engagements, marriages and babies... and then all of a sudden, I was in SUBURBIA!? So I feel your pain!
Have a great time though in Portland. We were just at Perkins Cove near Kittery. Beautiful!!
- Audrey
Pinks & Blues
Sorry to hear about your friend.

Have fun!
I'm sorry to hear your friend moved. I have a friend moving to FL in a few weeks, and it is a sad, sad thing.

Have fun in Maine! It looks to be a beautiful week!
KC said…
Your trip sounds so lovely, it really does. Have a wonderful time, friend.
carrie said…
Have fun fishin', maybe it'll be just what you need!

And thank you, from the bottom of my heart for the nod.
Unknown said…
Ah... this person that is so lucky as to be your good friend got all misty eyed reading your post! You teach me much.
Namito said…
And you are something else, grrlfriend.

Big hug, we'll see you soon!

Popular Posts